Pages

Friday 21 February 2014

S is for

Hello all thanks for joining me once again to participate in the alpa tag series. I'm going to whisper the next bit so if you'd like to get a little closer to your computer......gemlins permitting I'm going to try and get this posted this evening.

Okay you can sit back comfortably again, while I press on with the letter 'S'. There are lots of possibilities but I have settled for 'Shade'. We all need light and shade in our lives otherwise things would be very monotonous and one dimensional. Many people would probably refer to the happy times as the light and therefore the shade as the unhappy ones. But I don't believe this to always be the case. Shade can actually come from a time in our lives when we retire for some quiet reflection, where we ponder certain questions and possibilities before we continue with the future. To me Shade is more of a calming influence, a more down to earth approach to life; whilst light can be more frothy and less restrictive.

Understanding shade, and therefore light, is an important part of our artwork. When colouring an image we need to decide which direction the light source is coming from so that we can add shading to give a realistic, three dimensional effect. We also need to appreciate shades of colours so that we can create a pleasing composition.

Here is my artwork for today
This is another tag that I created a couple of years ago.

The background was sponged onto the tag using Scattered Straw and Dusty Concord Distress inkpads.

The main image, swirls and phrase are from the Patchwork Butterfly stamp set and were stamped with Aged Mahogany Distress and Paris Dusk Memento inkpads.

The wording was stamped onto a piece of background paper printed from the Essence of Nature CD, the edges were randomly torn and then it was attached to the tag. Finally I used a glue pen and some gold foil to 'flitter' around the butterfly and wording.

Unfortunately the camera (and therefore the operator of said instrument) doesn't capture the gold foiling very well but this is a great way to add highlights to your artwork.

One last thing, when colouring I often use shades of grey to add more dimension to the image...I shall leave you to make up your own ending!

See you tomorrow




7 comments:

Doreen said...

Another beautiful tag Lesley,love the colours and fabulous butterfly.....Love the gold foiling too,silly me not thought of using it with a glue pen.xxx

jackiescrafts said...

What a beautiful tag I bet that guilding looks amazing when the light catches it
Enjoy your weekend
Jackie x

Bernie Simmons said...

Beautiful Tag Love the glitter but I can never get it to photograph well either xxx Very pretty colours

Paula (PEP) said...

Yes, you had me chuckling over that last bit & no, I haven't read it! I do believe we need both light & shade in our lives, only when we walk through the shade can we appreciate the sunlight. Then there's the fact that staying in the sunlight can actually give one prickly heat (the Scandinavians have real trouble with that one, especially the blond & blue-eyed type which I have personal experience of) so the shade is a very welcome phenomenon. That's a very interesting combination of Distres Inks & the gilding makes the whole ambience of the design very different.
Paula (PEP)

Linda Simpson said...

Totally agree with what you have said about Shade in our lives it is what makes life so interesting, I always believe that something happens for a reason! Your tag is fabulous as always.

Hugs
Linda xxx

vinny said...

love the gilding on the butterfly and the distress ink colours you have chosen x Lavinia

Miranda said...

Hi Lesley, this butterfly is such a beautie and your tag is lovely with it. Like the foil fragments in it, it gives a great sparkle!And indeed we need shade as much as light....our whole life is duality! I experience that every day again and again. xxMiranda